Victron BlueSolar - MPPT Regulators
BlueSolar MPPT Charge Controllers from Victron Energy are one of the most high quality, cost effective MPPT regulators on the market. The regulators are suitable for 12V and 24V battery systems (auto-detect), some even for 36V and 48V systems.
An MPPT regulator can harvest more energy from a solar array than a traditional pulse-width modulation (PWM) charge controller. An MPPT regulator constantly monitors battery and panel voltage and optimises the charge current. In addition, the BlueSolar MPPTs have solar power limiting built in, which ensures the output power of a system will never exceed the maximum rating of the controller.
The (nominal) panel voltage does not have to match the battery voltage, e.g. you can charge a 12V battery with a 24V panel, or with a 60 cell (grid feed) panel. 12V and 24V panels are no longer mass produced, hence a 60 cell (~20V nominal) solar panel is much more cost effective in comparison. An MPPT regulator also promises a higher yield (of up to 30%).
Benefits of an MPPT are even more obvious when
- the solar array voltage is substantially higher than the battery voltage
- cell temperature is below 45°C or above 75°C
- solar irradiance is low (e.g. overcast sky)
- Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT)
- Advanced Maximum Power Point Detection in case of partial shading conditions
- Load output on the small models
- BatteryLife: intelligent battery management by load shedding
- Automatic battery voltage recognition
- Flexible charge algorithm
- Over-temperature protection and power de-rating when temperature is high
- LED display
- can be operated/monitored remotely with Color Control GX
- free web interface (Victron Remote Management Portal)